Saturday, February 7, 2009

Some of my favorite things.

I've been busy trying to finish my little 2n2/40 QRP transceiver kit. When I get it done, I'll bring it to the next Breakfast. It's been going along real good, which means that, after each stage is built, I am successful in finding all of my goof ups (bad solder joints, wrong part, bad mojo, etc.). But, until then, here's a few of my favorite things:

Soldersmoke. This is a podcast you can download and listen to on your computer or your mp3 player. It is for people interested in building their own gear, learning electronics or, as Bill says, "all things electronic and geeky." Bill, N2CQR, is a diplomat who is presently on assignment in Italy. He has produced 100 Soldersmokes, so far, and does one about every two weeks. He's interesting, funny and inspiring. He has all 100 Soldersmoke episodes available for download and they are great for playing around the shack when you're doing all those geeky things.

Ham Radio Podclass. This is a podcast gold mine. A couple hams teach courses to help you pass your Tech license and upgrade to General. They have dozens of lessons (again...downloadable mp3 files you can listen to for free) where they explain theory, rules and everything else on the tests. Then, after each lesson, then spend an entire episode going through the question pool helping you get ready for the exam. And...drumroll...they are going to start a series of classes for those who want to upgrade to Amateur Extra!

AmateurLogic TV. Another podcast, but this time in video. Three ham radio operators produce a very professional video podcast. They seem to have taken a bit of a break, but they have 22 episodes up so far, covering everything from an MFJ factory tour (episode 17) to how to build an "Active Cantenna" to give you a "beam" for your wifi (episode 3). Lots of topics and very interesting.

Make Magazine. This isn't ham radio. It is electronics only sometimes. But if you enjoy making things. Or wish you could make things. Or like watching other people make things. Or laughing at some of the strange things people spend their time making. This is the place for you. The magazine itself is a little pricey, but the web site has a blog with tons of interesting (uh...sometimes weird) projects. They also have tons of videos, and you can even watch their new "Make TV" episodes (oh lookie, another video podcast). They hold periodic "Maker Faires" all around the country that attract way more interest than the Dayton Hamvention. Ham radio needs to get a presence here - these are serious geeks.

WA5PSA
Brad

2 comments:

KD5NJR said...

I guess you listened to episode 100 of Soldersmoke. I thought it was great.

I haven't followed AmateurLogicTV. But, I do enjoy Linux in the Ham Shack.

I was a charter subscriber to Make for along time, (3 years or so at least) but I got behind on Making and the magazines started taking up space, so I'll take a bit of a break for now.

I am glad you mentioned Make because that is where I first learned of the Arduino microprocessor. I'd love to get one of those.

73
Scott
KD5NJR

Brad said...

I've been watching Make play with Adruinos. But I haven't really gotten into processor stuff enough to really understand yet. I do have an AVR Butterfly and I've managed to program it to say "hi" to me. I'm REALLY a newbie at microcontroller stuff (but if I want to keep up with where electronics is going, I think I've got to start learning it).

I subscribed to Make for 1 year. They are beautiful magazines, but I knew I didn't have time right now to "make" any of that stuff, so I just follow it on the Make blog and Make TV. But it looks like tons of fun.

Brad
WA5PSA