Saturday, February 14, 2009

Dreaming is Good






As an engineer, most of the questions I have (at work) get answered clearly.
Yes, this is a good idea, or
No, that isn't a good idea.
Link
And those statements get backed up by my boss or myself with clear justifications, such as:
This solution costs too much, or
This solution takes too much time, or
That standards drawing says to do it "this way", or
The equations say otherwise...

And that's okay, but sometimes you have to dream.
Like these guys did:
LINK:
http://www.astronautix.com/craft/bisander.htm

WAY BEFORE Apollo 11 went to the moon, these Brits were making the arguments, drawings, plans, anticipating problems and all that good stuff about flying the moon with over 2,000 solid fuel rocket engines.

You might know one guy, Arthur C. Clarke. He went to a club called "The British Interplanetary Society". They didn't have a repeater, but I bet they were neat guys. Later on, he wrote "2001" the Stanley Kubrick movie. He worked with radar and smoke screens in WWII.

I'm not saying to run out and catch yourself on fire, but sometimes it's okay to dream.

You don't have to own the best gear, just be safe. The QRP guys know this. They don't spend a fortune on stuff. Nor are the rigs necessarily of the 'latest and greatest' design (is there DSP in QRP rigs?.... well even if there is, you get my point.)

Volkswagen owners would sum up my point as "it's not pretty, but it gets you there."

Nike would say, "Just Do It."

2 comments:

Stan(KE5LEP) said...

Scott,

I retrieved the photo and copied it to the blog. problem solved.
If I am notified of a copyright problem it will be removed.

Stan

KD5NJR said...

... hope someone found it interesting... 73. Scott