Friday, July 31, 2009

Favorite 2m Rig ?


A lot of us folks meet on the 146.910 and 145.450 repeaters pretty regularly.

That made me wonder if anyone had a favorite 2m rig.
Link
I'll start things off. I have 2 favorite rigs. The first is one I "won" from eBay. It was an all-mode rig that came out of a guy's canoe in the Northeast supposedly. Fortunately, no real signs of corrosion. Here's an example photo:

www.flickr.com/search/?ss=2&w=all&q=ft-290r&m=text

(It's meant to be run QRP with the front antenna port, or there is a snap-on linear amp for the back of the unit.)

My other favorite rig (no tone board, so just for .45) is the Kenwood TS-700.

www.flickr.com/search/?ss=2&w=all&q=ts700sp&m=text

I drug one home from Ada Hamfest some time ago. It's older than I am. I get great comments on the audio of this rig. AM / FM / CW / SSB. Built in AC power supply. There is a minimum of high-tech parts in this thing. Weighs a ton (20 lb.)

Both these rigs have been used to call the Monday Night Nets in the past.

What do you guys run ?

73 de KD5NJR

2 comments:

Gene (AE5FT) said...

Great pics, Scott ... I was not aware of these all-mode 2M radio models, so very educational for me.

I use a Yaesu FT-1500 2M mobile hooked to a Radio Shack 3 amp power supply. Done a lot of netting with this radio ... no frills and no hassle, so that makes it a favorite for me!

73, Gene.

Anonymous said...

I run some 5 year old Yaesu FT-7800R dual band radios for both mobile in my truck and as a base at my house.

My wife uses a Yaesu VX-170 handheld with a speaker mic and a little mag mount antenna in her vehicle to work the local machines. One of these days I need to just install a mobile radio in there.

Matt - WX5LIB